The review of immunization records is a routine process mandated by the Immunization of School Pupils Act, 1990. Students, under the age of 18, must provide proof of up-to-date immunization against: diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella. Vaccinations against these diseases are free, and your family doctor should not charge you for providing updated immunization records to avoid suspension from school.

The immunization program provides information and offers clinics for selected vaccines. Health Unit nurses have vaccines on hand when visiting schools in the spring, and can immunize any student with signed consent forms.

Why do people get immunized?

Vaccines may help prevent or reduce the impact of illness due to a disease. Not immunizing your children could result in serious illness. Immunization is also mandated by the Immunization of School Pupils Act, 1990.

When should my children be immunized?

Parents are responsible for ensuring that their children's vaccines are up-to-date. Every time your children are vaccinated, you should advise the Health Unit. 

What diseases are preventable with vaccines?

Where can I get more information?

For more information, please contact your family doctor or the Public Health Department in your area.

For additional information on pneumonia, meningitis, chicken-pox and all other vaccines, visit the Ministry of Health website.

Peterborough County-City Health Unit

10 Hospital Drive

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M1

Tel: 705-743-1000

TTY: 705-743-4700

Fax: 705-743-2897

Health Unit Website 

Haliburton, Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit

Haliburton Office:

Box 570, 191 Highland St., Unit 301, Haliburton, ON, K0M 1S0

Tel: 1-866-888-4577 - Fax: (705) 457-1336

Lindsay Office:

108 Angeline St. S., Lindsay, ON, K9V 3L5

Tel: 1-866-888-4577 - Fax: (705) 324-0455

Port Hope Office:

200 Rose Glen Rd., Port Hope, ON, L1A 3V6

Tel: 1-866-888-4577 - Fax: (905) 885-9551


Durham Region Health Department

605 Rossland Road East

Whitby, Ontario L1N 6A3

Phone: 905-668-7711

Toll-Free: 1-800-372-1102